Thursday, 25 April 2013

Jeffreys Bay 1981 (2)


It’s the love that grows slowly almost from nothing, the love that you don’t even realize exists until one day its gone, or you think it is gone, the love that lasts forever. That love is the one to hold onto through thick and thin, against all the odds. That is a love that counts.

Seal Point 1980.

We came around the corner and there she was in all her stunning glory, a set rolled through from the outside point, barreled emerald green over full stop, then hit the inside and just raced off into the distance. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen.


Simmsy, Rustin, Bill and Kay were all there that summer, they were all top surfers who had competed in the South African surfing championships, I felt at ease in the lineup with them they encouraged me to compete, to come into town and try my hand at the Natal monthly competitions. A few months later after watching Pottz do the impossible at the Gunston, I finally made my mind up.

 Full Stop, Seal Point 1980

That summer at Seal Point, the seed was planted unknowingly. It was planted deep in my soul, a love for the natural beauty of the Eastern Cape and Jeffreys Bay. Unconsciously almost everything I have done since that moment in 1980 has drawn me back again and again. A long distance love affair, an everlasting love against all the odds and it has resulted in me lying tied to a stretcher in the back of an ambulance being rushed to hospital.

Sometimes love hurts.


1 comment: