Friday, 6 September 2013

The Beginning (15)

He had a funny smiley grimace on his face, the major, as he stepped forward and broke the news.

It was battalion boxing night and volunteers were needed to box for the company.

Now there is one rule you just do not break in the army. Never, never, ever, ever volunteer for anything, remain invisible, hidden in clear sight, but right there and then I did, no hesitation, not a doubt.

The moment I heard the words come out of his mouth, whoever fights for the company can have a free weekend pass, win or lose you could go home, I stepped forward. For fuck sakes, we would fight for fun. No reason at all needed back on the Bluff, how hard could this be, gloves, rules and a referee and only one person trying to hit you, way too easy.

Of course I would fight for a few days back at the beach and two nights back home with A, it was a no brainer.

For a few moments Wayno was there with me as we stepped out into sight, but then he was gone back into rank and I was alone, not another single soul from our comany had stepped forward.




No comments:

Post a Comment