Sunday, 6 October 2013

The Change (6)

Its obvious the realisation that you are mortal, the time laying helpless in a hospital bed, the thoughts and fears of all that time in bed made me change, but it might have not have happened at all. Wounds heal and the body recovers, it’s the mind that needs to heal and change.

My father game me the single most important thing in my life, while I was lying there in bed.

I don’t think he realised it and I most certainly did not either until years later. It was a gift way ahead of its time. Long before sports psychology and mind power became the fashion, this was back in 1985.

It was a master stroke, I had just been given a perfect storm for my brain to work out. I had all the ingredients, fear, pain and time along with a long, long future ahead of me.

I was only 20 years old and my father had just given me the single most significant piece of knowledge I had ever been given.  It opened my mind, it changed my world.

By the time I finally got out of that bed and learnt to slowly walk again, I knew nothing would stop me achieving my goals in life.

What was that gift ?A set of audio cassette tapes, by Denis Waitley called the "Psychology of Winning" one of the NASA lunar astronauts motivational speakers.

I have no idea why but I have never ever told him how important that was. I have never ever thanked him, I guess its time I did.


1 comment: